A light-soaked oasis, aptly referred to as the ‘Lantern House’ references its resemblance to a Japanese ‘tōrō – a traditional lantern made of stone, wood or metal.
The 1876 Victorian terrace was a masterpiece of its era but had begun to show signs of degradation against modern standards. Timmins & Whyte architects worked thoroughly to remove the poky, dated and dark internal layout and restore it to the highest echelon of design and craft.
This resulted in a new extension being implemented to replace an existing 1980's addition that satisfies the criterion of creating a generous, voluminous and open living space with a multitude of garden views.
Miglas windows were utilised throughout this project to bestow a glass-fronted expansive space that bathes the interior in ample lighting whilst aiding with the principles of sustainable design. The house followed this mantra through the implementation of solar panels and the utilisation of passive cooling techniques.
The project has been extensively covered throughout architectural press, including being a feature project on the front page of the Grand Designs Australia publication.